The busier I get, the more simply I find myself eating. I keep certain staples on hand, and, these days (and with the abundance of fresh organic produce Asheville and western NC has to offer) it’s lots of roasted veggies. Beets are one of my favorites, and they star in this super healthy salad.
- organic baby greens (they’re all good, so take your pick)
- thinly sliced onion
- roasted beets, chilled and cut in bite sized pieces
- raw pecans, chopped
- balsamic vinaigrette (see below)
- drizzle of sriracha (optional)
Add all ingredients to the bowl, and use your judgment for how much of each you want. My only recommendation is to make sure you have plenty of greens to balance out the other things. Oh, and don’t overdress the salad! Go slowly and mix gently as to not badly bruise the greens.
- 1 cup good olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave (for vegan option)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
Combine all ingredients in a mason jar or other tightly lidded vessel and shake, shake, shake. Refrigerate leftovers. (By the way, this dressing is a super marinade.)
See how easy that was? Now you’ll know what to do with those leftover beets. Happy and healthy eating!