I reeeeeally need a vacation. Unfortunately, I won’t be taking one, at least for the near foreseeable future, and so I decided my tastebuds could at least experience a change of pace. They always have the most fun. So, for this flavor-cation, I’m going to the Mediterranean with this light, bright, organic and super tasty potato salad. It’s even a win for my gluten-free and vegan friends out there, too.
For this recipe, I used:
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cooked in salted, boiling water until soft; cut into large chunks and let cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour before incorporating the other ingredients
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 10 basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- 2 tablespoons chopped sundried tomatoes (the ones packed in olive oil work best)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, sliced
- Zest of one lemon
- Dressing to coat
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a large bowl once the potatoes are fully chilled and carefully combine. As for the right amount of dressing, you just want the salad to be lightly coated. Add a little at a time until you’re satisfied and remember the potatoes will absorb some. Keep refrigerated until you’re ready to serve.
For the dressing:
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 basil leaves
- Juice of one fresh lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic
- Pinch sea salt
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey (or sugar if you’re vegan)
Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth and creamy. It shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds. You’ll have plenty left over after making this potato salad, so enjoy it on fresh greens, on bruschetta, or brushed on grilled shrimp!
Safe travels, everyone, and bring me back a magnet! 🙂